Thursday, February 4, 2010

Forecast: 5 - 7 inches of snow

...but only if you believe the Weather Service. Personally, I don't.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have snow. I'd be happy with a foot of snow, if not more. Two feet of snow? BRING IT ON!!

But, frankly, the Weather Service's forecasts for our area have been abysmal at best. They've been laughable at worst.

Granted, predicting how much snow is going to fall and where it's going to fall (and when) is a difficult science at the best of times. Frankly, we don't understand a great deal of what goes on in the upper atmosphere. The short-range forecasts are usually somewhat reliable (except for precipitation for our area which they always seem to miss (and usually in rather spectacular fashion)) in terms of temperature and for cloudiness.

But then we come to precipitation. The past few years when the weather service has said we're about to get blasted by snow, I've said: "Yeah, right. I'll believe it when I see it."

Out of fourteen times I've been wrong twice.

Twice. Lesse ... 2/14 = 0.14285714285714285714285714285714 or 14.29% of the time I've been wrong.

So this time when they're saying we'll get five inches of snow (in some places up to seven) I'm putting out ... before the storm strikes this time ... that we'll get two inches total. Tops. At best. My personal forecast? Some scattered snow showers with little if any accumulation. And this is through Sunday night.

Currently, they're saying snow Friday through Saturday morning. The last number of times they've given time frames they've been forced to push them back. For example, the last time they said Friday through Saturday morning, it became Saturday and Saturday night, then Sunday and then only a dusting of snow.

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE two feet of snow. Heck, at this point I'd be happy with five inches.

But we won't get it.

I'd LOVE to get blasted by two feet of snow.

But it won't happen this time.

I'd LOVE to get hit with between five and seven inches of snow.

But we won't get that either. Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to be wrong and get blasted by a massive blizzard.

But odds are I'll be right again.

And it sucks, because I love snow.

No comments: