Monday, December 15, 2008

The Rule of Law

All around me, I'm surrounded by people who tell me what to do, how to do it, and when to do it.

Example: The speed limit on a certain stretch of road is 35mph because it's zoned residential. Therefore, I'm supposed to drive no faster than 35mph.

PROBLEM: Not too long ago, a local cop passed me as if I were standing still. I thought he/she was on his/her way to a call until he turned into a driveway and then turned around facing the road. Since that is a local "speedtrap" I assumed that's where he/she was heading. A call to the local police department confirmed it.

RULE FOR ME: Obey the speedlimit. Rule for cops on way to speedtrap: do whatever the hell you want.

Example: The text of the $700billion bailout defines who the money is for and then clearly defines: "FINANCIAL INSTITUTION- The term ‘financial institution’ means any institution, including, but not limited to, any bank, savings association, credit union, security broker or dealer, or insurance company, established and regulated under the laws of the United States or any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the District of Columbia, Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, American Samoa, or the United States Virgin Islands, and having significant operations in the United States, but excluding any central bank of, or institution owned by, a foreign government."*

That doesn't leave much room for interpretation. Remember that according to my now ex-wife I'm none too bright so I guess I missed the words "automaker" or "Detroit" or "General Motors" or "Ford" or "UAW."

RULE FOR ME: This money is for financial institutions only. Rule for politicians: Do whatever the hell you want.

OK...now we come to insurance companies. I have a certain insurance company that tells me first with one "advocate" that the policy covers the driver, and that is done through the SSN of the driver (as an aside - remember when the SSN was 'only' to be used for retirement benefits?)

PROBLEM: Another "advocate" tells me that the policy doesn't follow the driver, it follows the vehicle and that that is done through the VIN.

RULE FOR ME: Listen to what I tell you. Rule for insurance company: We don't know what the hell's going on, so don't ask us.

So why do people take offense when I point out the problems?

OH - let's go one step further. People everywhere will tell you that they want the truth. The problem is, try to tell the truth.

Fat underworked, immoral politicians take note: If you expect me to obey your rules you'd damned well be following them yourselves. Otherwise, you can stick your objections where the sun don't shine.

Clear?

* - SOURCE: http://blog.heritage.org/2008/12/12/tarp-now-a-slush-fund-for-detroit/

No comments: