Sunday, June 24, 2012

Dr James Lovelock, godfather of global warming, tells the truth.

Erm…
One word … wow.  If I were wearing a hat, I’d take it off and doff it to him.  Come to think of it, and based on what he said, I think I might put my baseball cap on and then doff it to him.  Wow.
“ Two months ago, James Lovelock, the godfather of global warming, gave a startling interview to msnbc.com in which he acknowledged he had been unduly “alarmist” about climate change. “
All I can say is “wow.”  Unlike many in the ‘global warming is entirely man-made’ movement, Dr Lovelock doesn’t have a political science degree.  Dr Lovelock’s degree is in something directly related to the matter in question, and many of his inventions are used by NASA, among others. 
In the article, Dr Lovelock states that we really don’t know what the climate is doing.  As I wrote on 22-MAY-2008, “The simple truth is that since our climate models break down, we don't know exactly what's going to happen in the future. 
Our climate models tend to break down in rather spectacular fashion when we get to the upper atmosphere, since we frankly don’t know what goes on up there.
But then Dr Lovelock goes “off the reservation” and says this:  ““It just so happens that the green religion is now taking over from the Christian religion,” Lovelock observed. “I don’t think people have noticed that, but it’s got all the sort of terms that religions use … The greens use guilt. That just shows how religious greens are. You can’t win people round by saying they are guilty for putting (carbon dioxide) in the air.” “
Again, all I can say is “wow.”   As I wrote on 30-OCT-2008; “I'll be the first to admit right now that any theory arrived at logically and scientifically possesses its own validity, however, there are a number of people who are now viewing global warming as a de facto religion. It most certainly is nothing of the sort. Global Warming is a theory ... at best. It predicts wild swings of temperature. Some years it will be colder and in others it will be hotter. The overall trend, however, will be warming. To be frank, it is a theory that also has a great deal of contradictory evidence. Some of this evidence in fact refutes global warming entirely. “
I have to applaud Dr Lovelock for saying these things.  In my opinion, he’s reinforced his status as a serious scientist.  But I must also be honest and say that I now fear for his reputation. 
There are many in the “green” movement that say that us skeptics need to be treated for having a mental disorder and that our homes should be burnt to the ground.  How wonderful.  Unfortunately, there are those that will note that since Dr Lovelock is saying these things, his house should also be torched.  But then, typical liberal bullsh*t.  “I’m correct and you’re wrong.” 
I at least admit that I could be wrong.
Now how about it, libs?

No comments: