Friday, July 18, 2008

Adam Clarke

I'm not ashamed of Adam Clarke.  I need to say that right here.  What I AM ashamed of is what happened.  Also, I do need to point out that probably a few of those who did NOT stop might have had medical conditions which would have made it impossible for them to assist.  I am in no way blaming these people. 

But also for the record, Mr. Adam Clarke had had a hip replacement before this incident.  Yet he was the only one who helped.  Here's what happened:

My mother was listening to the Glenn Beck programme today, and Glenn brought up the situation with Mr. Clarke.  Here's what happened:  (I'm paraphrasing from Mr. Beck's comments.)

Mr. Clarke was going to pick Mr. Beck up for a show they were doing when the traffic slowed down suddenly.  Mr. Clarke looked (as many other drivers were) and noticed a man beating the crap out of a Police Officer.  (It wasn't clear if it was a local cop, a Sheriff's Deputy or a State Trooper.)

AT LEAST 20 people drove by ... and did nothing.  Mr. Clarke stopped his car, jumped out, and assisted the Officer in subduing the man.  The Officer thanked him, told him he didn't even have time to call the stop in before being set upon by the attacker, and that the attacker had nearly gotten his firearm "several times."

Mr. Clarke, Executive Producer of the Glenn Beck Programme, was the only one that did anything.  What I'm ashamed of is why was he the only person to stop.  Why didn't AT LEAST ONE of those other 20 or so stop and assist? 

Since the founding of our Nation, we've apparently gone from being willing to take up arms and die for our Freedom to ... being sheeple.  We've gone from being brave people to ... being cowards.  Mr. Clarke was the only one with the balls to do the right thing and assist the Officer who was in danger of losing the battle with the attacker, and possibly his life.

This Officer is, of course, getting paid.  The people that drove by aren't (at least, not for what the Officer does.)  That, however, is not the point.

I'm not getting paid to be a Police Officer, but if I notice a drunk driver on the Interstate, I will inform them.  I'm not getting paid to be a Police Officer, but if I notice somebody in distress, I will assist them.  I'm not getting paid to be a Police Officer but you can be assured that had I seen that incident, I would have stopped to assist the Officer. 

Why then, did nobody else?  That is what I'm ashamed of.  Too many people who do nothing. 

At this point, I'm sure somebody's going to comment on this (if not email me) and tell me about their rights.  I'm well aware that people have rights, but everybody seems to have forgotten that with those rights come ... responsiblities.  Now there's a Politically Incorrect word.  God Forbid we should be responsible Citizens!  God Forbid we should assist those Officers who have sworn their lives to keep us safe.

Shame on us.  Of course, those people that didn't stop are probably the same people that do 100 mph on the Outerbelt where the speed limit is 65.  (Yes, my local State Troopers did a "concentrated-enforcement initiative" on the Outerbelt and nailed people doing 85, 90, even over 100 mph.  The speed limit is 65.)  I'm willing to bet that more than a few of the people who got tickets are complaining that they have a right to drive on the roadway (you don't, by the way.  Driving is a privilege, not a right.  And even if it were a right, you don't have the right to break the speed limit.  But I digress.) 

For Mr. Adam Clarke, I join that Officer in thanking you.  You did what was brave and what was right.

For everybody else ... grow a pair already.

No comments: