Thursday, July 10, 2008

No, that's not me

I opened my mailbox about 30 minutes ago and got a mail that asked if I were the same "gregb1967" that posts on sportingnews.com.  I had no idea who this person was, so I did a little reading.  The answer, for the record, is no. 

I have no idea who this "gregb1967" is, although I can infer that he is a male, first name is Greg, last name begins with "B" and he was born sometime in 1967.  There all similarities appear to end.  In one of his postings, he wrote:  "The fact is that Mayo is a stupid punk thug who the NBA should make an example of."

Let's examine this:  Somebody named "Mayo" plays for the NBA, and this person writing thinks he is a "...stupid punk thug..." that the NBA should make an "...example of."  This might be true.  Frankly, I don't know since I don't know who "Mayo" is, what team he plays for or why this person thinks the NBA should make an example out of him.

But my point is this:  This particular "gregb1967" has presented his opinion as fact.  That's not what I do.  When I'm telling you my opinion, I'll tell you it's my opinion.  Simply search this journal and you'll find more than a few instances.  They're easy to spot, since they normally say somethink like "In my opinion" or "my opinion, I could be wrong," or words similar.  This clearly informs you that you're reading an opinion which may or may not be factual. 

Usually, but not always, I'll include a link to an article which I've cited in reference.  This lets you know that somebody else has said something that that I'm going to comment on it.  Sometimes, I'll add my opinion to this person's story.  Again, you'll always be made aware that it is my opinion. 

So for the person who sent me the email; thank you for the mail.  No, that person isn't me.  But it was a good question.

Thank you for asking and thank you for reading. :)

No comments: