Thursday, September 15, 2011

Something I HATE (SCREENSHOT)



I need to apologize for how small the image is, but if you look at it, you'll see that IE blocked a popup ad. This is the bar at the top of the screen.


But then we come to right above the START button (lower left-hand corner) There we see that the site I was on added a toolbar at the bottom AND an advert above that.


Granted, if I were on a faster computer, these wouldn't slow my system down too much. And when my PIV 3.7G system was still "alive" it wasn't an issue.


But that computer bit the dust (died with a series of POST (Power On Self Test) beeps) and was good for only a doorstop. So I removed what I could save, but the motherboard and CPU were toast.


So now I'm using a PIV 1.7G machine with only 512mb of RAM. Yes, I know it sucks. But it also happens to be all I have (unless I count my laptop, which I use on the road.)


A popup at top, a toolbar on the bottom and an advert. As I said, on a fast machine it really doesn't make a difference.


But think of those like me who are using older machines with slow CPUs and not much RAM. Granted, I COULD buy a better one ... if I had the money.


This isn't a 'feel sorry for me post' rather, it's a post that means that many web sites really don't care about the number of popups, ads, toolbars, etc that they force on you.


For my laptop, not a problem. It's a quad core machine with 4G of DDR RAM and a HUGE hard drive. It runs circles around this machine.


For THIS machine (the one I use to surf the web due to security issues) a MAJOR problem. Yes, call me anal when I mention security issues. Yet my system has YET to be infected by a virus, trojan, or adware. (Knocking on wood. I typed in YET for a reason. Just because I've been 'anal' doesn't mean I can't or won't be infected in the future.) My now ex-wife had her machine hijacked once. And I'm willing to bet that at least somebody reading this has had their wireless laptops hijacked?


Call me anal, please! This is one label I'll HAPPILY accept. I'm anal about computer security.


But SHAME on these sites for all the toolbars, ads, and popups. SHAME.

No comments: