Thursday, May 10, 2012

2nd computer dies. R.I.P.

Wow.  This is really REALLY freaky.  My desktop computer (Win XP) 1.7G PIV died.  It’s the second computer I’ve had die on my recently.  My other, you might recall, was a 3.7G PIV that also used Win XP.   Well, the 1.7G was my backup and it went belly up. 

SO … I began using my laptop, which is a 2.2G PIV quad-core machine with 4G of DDR3 DRAM. It runs circles around the older one (especially now what the 1.7G machine is a doorstop.)  BUT, I HATE using the touchpad and the keyboard on the laptop.  Out I go to the Internet to find something to hook up a PS/2 mouse to a USB port.  (As an aside, could you imagine what I would’ve had to go through without the Internet?  I’d have to make phone call after phone call after phone call to find such a device, and at a price I could afford.) 

Well, I found it.  Thanks to the fine folks at Smartphonechargers (that’s actually the name of the company) out of Fairfield, NJ, I ordered a USB dongle thingie to hook up a PS/2 keyboard AND mouse to one of my laptop’s USB ports.  Windows 7 found the drivers automatically and installed them for me.  A reboot, and all is well.

Thank you soooooooooo very much to the fine folks of Smartphonechargers, I can now use my PS/2 mouse and my PS/2 keyboard on my laptop.

Ordering with them was simplicity itself, and went smoothly.  They told me that the dongle might not be here until Monday, but today is Thursday, 10-MAY and I’m loving it!  (with all apologies to McDonald’s.)

No comments: