Wednesday, July 4, 2012

"Mr. President, we have power." - Star Trek IV

Power.  Electricity.  Such simple words.  But a few days without power and you quickly realize what people who are in hurricane country go through. 

Power went off here at about 6pm on Friday 29-JUN.  It FINALLY came back on.  I heard the fridge motor click on and then my alarm clock started blinking "12:00" at me. :)  I thought it was one of the prettiest sights I'd ever seen.  (Call me strange.)

But power is back and I have quite a few people to thank. 

First, the folks at AEP.  I've called them "American Electric Pinheads" before, but they worked tirelessly around the clock to restore power.  Thanks. :)

Next, power would be useless to me without the internet, so a thank you to the fine folks at Time Warner Cable.  Cable actually came back before the power did, thanks to TWC's portable generators (and I actually spoke with a TWC employee as she was getting the generator set up.  I didn't catch her name, but she was quite cute. :) )  But without power it was useless to me. :)  My laptop battery was down to 7% and it was throwing up warning after warning about needing to plug it in or shut it off.

UNFORTUNATELY, I'd made one of my favourite meals on Friday and put the rest in a container in the fridge.  It was no good (bummer) and had to be tossed ... along with quite a few frozen dinners that are also ruined.  But all in all it's a small price to pay for having power back.

In case you were wondering, the thermometer in my room reached a high of 89 degrees.  That's just a bit too warm for me. :)  And I'm pretty sure my laptop wasn't too happy about it either.  That little fan on the CPU was sure busy, though. :) 

OH, and that line about having power?  I've always wanted to use it. :)

No comments: