Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Deja Vu, Anyone?

Well.  The BIG headline of the day (aside from Mr. Kennedy's brain tumour) is this:  http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D90Q8K880&show_article=1

Talk about Deja Vu.  If you remember, on Friday 2-MAY-08 (nineteen days ago), I wrote:  "And making the oil industry answer to Congressional hearings?  I've not forgotten that they have ALREADY had their hearings in the past over the price of petrol.  We've already been down this road, HRC.  It didn't do any good because the politicians (that's you, by the way) and the oil industry decided it shouldn't.  Now here we are again.  Same problem." (emphasis added)

Yes, just like I wrote, the politicians, trying to make you believe that they care about you, have started their dog-and-pony show and their "hearings," trying to make the oil execs explain their profits.

Yes, I wrote about that too.  And yes, the oil execs also should be explaining things.  Too bad the politicians have their hands up each others rectums and don't know the right questions to ask.  The politicians also have some explaining to do.

If you remember, sixteen years ago Bill Clinton talked about hydrogen fuel cells.  That was in 1992, folks.  He did the same in 1996 while trying to keep the presidency.  Then, Shrub (George Bush) talked about hydrogen fuel cells EIGHT years ago while trying to win the office.  FOUR years ago, he did the same thing.

And, as I also wrote before NOT.  ONE.  DAMN.  THING.  GOT.  DONE.  Yes, the politicians also have a great deal of explaining to do.  Too bad they're too busy trying to make you believe that they care about you.  They don't.  And the energy they're putting into this farce should be better spent trying to wean this country off of oil.

As I wrote before:  Just imagine what we could do with all the money we're using now to buy petrol.  Just imagine the money we'd have to solve problems right here at home.  Drilling in ANWR doesn't solve the problem, it just postpones it.  Drilling off the coast of the US doesn't solve the problem, it just postpones it.  We need to get off of oil, and IT CAN BE DONE.  But ONLY if the politicians actually get off their fat asses and DO something.  We don't need more dog-and-pony shows, we need YOU to get involved and to TELL THE OIL LOBBYISTS that you're serious this time.  Of course, (sadly) I'll probably die before you do.  Some bottom-line company is making a tonne of money right now.  And, you're letting them. 

And now a few words about Sen. Kennedy's tumour.  I was shocked, dismayed, and saddened when I read this.  To be frank, I don't like Mr. Kennedy's poltics or his stance on a great many issues.  Frankly, I think he's too liberal.  BUT, he is also a human being.  And he is now facing an almost certainly terminal illness.  I can only imagine the things that are going through his mind right now.

I can only imagine the things that are going through his family's mind as well.  To know that somebody you love is facing a hard and terminal illness is not easy.  I know ... I've been there.  My ex-wife's mother died while we were still married and though she wasn't my mother, I cried a great deal ... grieved a great deal.  As is his family.

Whatever your politics, whatever your beliefs, I ask you set those aside and pray for Mr. Kennedy and his family.  The road ahead of them is not an easy one.  Take a second (please!) to think about them...send some positive energy their way.  They'll need it.  Also, take a moment to let somebody that's close to you ... and that you love, let them know that you do love them.  Mr. Kennedy is 76 years old, but that's still too young to die.  My heart aches for him and his family.  As the profile on one of my other screen names says "Tell those you love that you DO love them.  You may never get another chance." 

I did get a shock the other day.  I got an email telling me that my screenname is now #2 on Google if you look it up.  I was floored.  While I get very few replies in my mailbox about this journal, and nobody has yet replied to an entry, Somebody, somewhere, is reading it.  For that, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.  It's humbling (and frightening) to know that this journal is actually being read.

No comments: