Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Survey SAYS ... I was right.

Well, another night of insomnia has come ... and gone.  I'm gonna try to get a least an hour or so of sleep soon, but before I do:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aza2XQB.kk0k&refer=worldwide

Their first paragraph:  "May 5 (Bloomberg) -- More than 200 economists, including four Nobel prize winners, signed a letter rejecting proposals by presidential candidates Hillary Clinton and John McCain to offer a summertime gas-tax holiday."

Ding.  And the reasons?  Because it doesn't save people much money and because it reduces the tax monies available to maintain roads and bridges.  DING.  That's what I wrote, too.  And I'm not an economist. 

BUT...then we come to what JM said:  "``I find people who are the wealthiest who are most dismissive of a plan to give low-income Americans a little holiday''  Ummm...I'm not wealthy.  Far from it.  I've debt coming out of my ears, frankly.  It's just that I'm not quite so stupid, JM.  I KNOW this is a bad idea, and I KNOW *WHY* it's a bad idea.  Yes, 30$US does more money to me, but that's saved not at one fillup at the pump, but over the ENTIRE driving season (the summer months.)  30$US saved over several months?  Better than nothing, but nowhere near as much as they want it to sound.

``I'm not going to put my lot in with economists'' (HRC said) because ``we would design it in such a way that it would be implemented effectively.''   Oh?  How's that, HRC?  ::tick::  ::tick:: ::tick::  ::tick::

Um...no details here, folks.  Just that she would implement it "...effectively."  Um...news flash; the President doesn't have that type of authority.  Sorry, HRC, but the President really doesn't.  (Since you're running for that office, I kind of expect you to keep up on little things like this.)

In all, there's nothing new here.  Just stupid politicians giving stupid ideas trying to win votes.

No comments: