Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The Morality of Liberals

Ok...a few things before I begin.  I cannot and will not deny that conservatives do this, too.  I cannot deny that.  I will not deny that.

Both sides do it.  Let me say that again; BOTH SIDES DO IT.  And those are the ones that we need to worry about.

Next, the link the full article:  http://www.examiner.com/a-1419425~Peter_Schweizer__Conservatives_more_honest_than_liberals_.html

Wow.  I read that and about tossed my cookies.  But it explains a great deal.  "Those with a “liberal outlook” who “reject the idea of absolute truth” were more accepting of cheating at school, according to another study, involving 291 students and published in the Journal of Education for Business."

"...reject the idea of absolute truth..."  You don't say.  Murder is wrong.  That's an absolute truth.  Now before you say that killing in war is murder, the Bible makes a stark distinct difference.  It's been reworded as "Thou shalt not kill," BUT the original Hebrew is different.  God never said "Thou shalt not kill."  What He said was "Thou shalt not murder." (emphasis mine)  This is from Exodus 20:13 ... but in the Hebrew Manuscript the word used was "Ratsach."  "Ratsach" means "to murder, a murderer, to dash to pieces."  So this Commandment (Exodus 20:13) actually reads:  "Thou shalt not murder." (emphasis mine)

That's from an email that I sent to my therapist who also happens to be the Director of Pastoral Studies (and since it's quoted from an email explains why my stupid font changed.)  But I digress.  So....thou shalt not murder.  That's an absolute.

We have rules, as I've already written.  The speed limit is there for a reason.  So are stop signs.  Another rule is stealing.  Again, for good reason.  You wouldn't walk into your local store and steal a jacket, would you?  You wouldn't stick a gun in somebody's face and kill them just because you wanted their 'cool' shoes, would you?  I'd call that an absolute.  So there's an absolute truth. 

"A study in the Journal of Business Ethics involving 392 college students found that stronger beliefs toward “conservatism” translated into “higher levels of ethical values.” And academics concluded in the Journal of Psychology that there was a link between “political liberalism” and “lying in your own self-interest,” based on a study involving 156 adults."  There's another quote from the article.  Wow.  (Another font change, since I quoted from the article again.  I'm tired of changing fonts. :) )

Again, BOTH SIDES DO IT.  And too many people on both sides do.  So do too many people in business (read...executives.)  I'm gonna get in trouble for this, but here goes:  Not all executives are bad.  So, I'm not painting all of them with the same broad brush.  But a number of them are.  Read the executives at Tyco who threw the lavish parties and the guys at Enron. 

After those scandals, business courses in universities made brave noises about "business ethics."  But now we're back to the same 'screw 'em all over and get the money' that we were in before. 

I've worked retail and I'm all too familiar with bad executives.  I'm all too familiar with bad managers, too.  At the store where I worked, one of the managers said that those who dressed up (shirts and ties) were managers and those who wore the company shirts were 'workers.'  Really?  I had thought we were all Associates.  (No, I'm NOT talking about Wal-Mart in this instance.)  Maybe that's why KMart went the way of the dodo.  Again, history has proved me right.  I'm not saying that the fault is entirely on the managers and executives.  Non-caring associates also didn't help.  But part of the blame, a great deal of it, lays at the feet of the corrupt executives.  Not just at KMart, but also at other businesses.

The executives have forgotten what it is to be a "worker."  To get their hands dirty unloading stock ... assuming they ever knew.

But I digress, again.  So yes, there is an absolute truth.  Again from the article:  "In my mind, a more likely explanation is bad ideas. Modern liberalism is infused with idea that truth is relative. Surveys consistently show this. And if truth is relative, it also must follow that honesty is subjective." 

Really?  Honesty is subjective.  OK...

I'm gonna take a step back.  I've lied.  I'll admit it.  In fact, I'm lying to you now.  I'm not perfect (remember me saying that?)  But "...honesty is subjective."?  OK...since it's subjective, it must be OK to rob a bank, right?  If it's subjective.  I need the money, so it must be OK to rob a bank.

I want his shoes, so I'm going to get my gun and murder him for his shoes. 

There's your subjective morality.

You can stick that where nobody will ever find it.

No comments: