Tuesday, November 11, 2008

GoDaddy.Com has REALLY Left the Building

Or ... the lights are on, but nobody's at home. Or as Steve Gibson said "The lights are on, but nobody's @home."

Why do I say this? Simple. I just got yet another mail claiming I'd won an all expense paid trip to Disney/Orlando. The "signer" was our old friend, Sue Madden. The address that I apparently registered from was a business ... a business I've never lived at.

The domain this time was flconnect1.com which resolves to ... GoDaddy.com. Seriously.

This time, however, the registrant did give a valid address. The city, Altamonte Springs, FL actually exists. So does the street address given. The telephone number given in their registration is a valid one and returns to the street address given.

But the domain flconnect1.com is not one that Disney World uses. If they did, it wouldn't resolve to GoDaddy.com

GoDaddy?

I have to ask this again: You do verify these, correct? How long will it be before I get another one that isn't a valid address or phone number? Say an ACORNIFIED address which is a park bench or a vacant lot?

It took me two minutes of searching Google.com, USPS.com and WHOIS.net to verify the registrant. Do you do that?

Hello?

I've sent the standard "abuse" report to GoDaddy, which I am beginning to suspect is an unmonitored emailbox. As soon as it gets full it gets purged and the garbage collects anew.

GoDaddy, this is your chance to make a good impression. Comment?

No comments: