Wednesday, November 26, 2008

I'm Tired

...I really am. And now this latest bit is just more crap on the fryer.

I have to be careful about this next, and I know it. But somebody on a certain account in Star Wars Galaxies accused me of logging into this person's AOL account, reading email, and then replying to a certain mail. I have screenshots of the conversation, and used the "./report" feature and submitted a ticket.)

There are just several problems with the claim against me; none of it happened.

This person states I logged in as her; this is in violation of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of 1986, as amended in 1994, 1996, and again in 2001 in reponse to the Patriot Act.

Specifically, it makes it a crime to "Knowingly and with the intent to defraud, trafficking in a password or similar information through which a computer may be accessed without authorization. " *1.

That's only part of it. For the record, I did not know this person's password, would NOT want to know this person's password, and wish only to be left alone by this person. And yes, I have told them so in person (and have screenshots of that too.) It's coming to the point where I'm considering getting my attorney involved (again.)

This person offered to send me the proof. I've yet to receive anything.

What makes it worse is that I'm fairly positive that this person has told their friends and/or their family about my "misdeeds" and that makes it liable. *2 What is that? "In law, defamation (also called calumny, libel, slander, and vilification) is the communication of a statement that makes a false claim, expressly stated or implied to be factual, that may give an individual, business, product, group, government or nation a negative image." (Wikipedia article. Emphasis (bold) theirs.)

That's a direct quote, but let's distill that down to what we're talking about. "Libel is the communication of a statement that makes a false claim, expressly stated or implied to be factual, that may give an individual a negative image." (Again, that's distilled down.)

So if you were to hear from this person "Hey, he logged in as me and read my mail and did this," you'd think less of me, right? That would give me a "...negative image." right?

As stated, and again for the record: I have never done such a thing. I would never do such a thing.

I just want it to stop ... period. So if you (that certain person) are reading this, be forewarned, I have had enough. It stops.

In case that is not clear enough, let me state it again:

LEAVE ME THE HELL ALONE.

*1 - Computer Fraud and Abuse Act: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Fraud_and_Abuse_Act

*2 - Liable: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slander_and_libel

No comments: