Sunday, November 16, 2008

Imprimis and this blog

Over the past few days, I've had email exchanges with a few of the folks at Hillsdale College. At question was whether or not I could quote verbatim and in its entirety selected printings of Imprimis.

The reason I asked what twofold. First, a blurb in each pamplet states "Permission to reprint in whole or in part is hereby granted, provided the following credit line is used: "Reprinted by permission from Imprimis, a publication of Hillsdale College." "

You'll note it states "Permission to reprint in whole or in part..." And that was the reason I contacted them. I've heard before that permission was granted to do this, that, or something else provided that you do something. I've also read about people getting sued. I was threatened with a lawsuit. Thankfully, it went no further.

But I contacted them and got the official 'green-light go ahead and do that' provided that the credit line is used.

So when I do begin writing from their publications I will put "From Imprimis: "Article's Name Here." " in the subject line. The first and last paragraphs will be the credit line and a link to Hillsdale College.

Now for the full disclosure thing. :) I do subscribe to Imprimis, which is a publication of Hillsdale College. In each pamplet it states something we're come to expect: "The opinions expressed in Imprimis are not necessarily the views of Hillsdale College." Come to think of it, I might not agree with 100% of what it states. :)

But I just wanted to make everybody aware that these writings are going to start appearing in some of my blogs. I'll also include the address for the College as well as ways to get your very own copy of Imprimis.

Now for more disclosure: They are not asking me to reprint this. In fact, I approached them about doing so. They are not paying me to do so and there is no relationship between the College and myself other than the fact that I receive their publication.

No comments: