Friday, August 28, 2009

Sen. Kennedy's Passing - Rest in Peace

Our group had our weekly meeting today, our usual Friday outing. As usual, the conversation turned to politics.

Specifically, Sen. Kennedy's passing.

I'll be the first to admit that I was vehemently opposed to nearly everything Sen. Kennedy stood for. I'll admit it. Frankly, I'd be lying if I said I agreed with nearly anything he stood for.

But to learn that he'd passed saddened me. I didn't agree with him, but I did respect him. Sen. Kennedy stood his ground on the issues he believed in. He didn't waver and he didn't compromise his principles.

You don't find that too often these days. Case in point - 'Benedict' Arlen Spectre (D-PA) who switched from Republican to Democrat so that he could stay in Washington ... and admitted it.

Sen. Kennedy wasn't like that. He didn't switch sides and he didn't pull punches. And even though I disagreed with him, I did respect him.

My thoughts and prayers go to the Kennedy family at this difficult time. There aren't too many 'good' ways to die, unless one counts passing away peacefully in one's sleep. But to suffer as Sen. Kennedy did ... at least he's no longer suffering.

He was a liberal lion in the Senate, a stalwart who didn't compromise. He will be missed.

No comments: