Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Weather Forecast Changed - Again - AGain - AGAin -AGAIn - AGAIN

You get the idea. The first "forecast" called for snow tonight (Tuesday night) accumulating 4 - 6 inches by morning. Then an additional inch of two on Wednesday.

Now the "forecast" depends on whom you listen to. The local radio station, which says they get their "forecasts" from the National Weather Service is saying 3 - 5 inches of snow tonight and an additional 1 - 3 inches Wednesday.

BUT ... the Weather Underground (NOT the terrorist group!) which also gets its "forecasts" from the National Weather Service) is saying 4 - 6 inches tonight and an additional 1 - 2 on Wednesday.

Do we have two National Weather Services?

This leads me to the conclusion that nobody knows what's going on.

Here's my forecast: occassional light snow developing tonight and lasting until morning. Up to an inch of accumulation. Tomorrow (Wednesday) : Occassional light snow. Additional accumulation of 1 - 2 inches. Total storm accumulation of up to 3 inches by Wednesday night.

*- Weather Underground (NOT the terrorist group) This is, indeed, based at the University of Michigan, where the terrorist group came from. They took their name as a tongue-in-cheek reference to the terrorist group, but these people are not terrorists. A background primer on the Weather Underground (NOT the terrorist group) can be found here: http://www.wunderground.com/about/background.asp

As an aside: I once worked at a place taking calls from computer users who were having troubles with their computers. I sent a female Customer to one of my favourite websites: http://www.wunderground.com/ , which will lead you right back to the place we're talking about. In my notes, I gave the URL exactly as I just gave it (above.) She, however, said that I'd told her to go to underground (dot) com, which is something completely different. (DO NOT GO TO THAT SITE!!!) That, and the tape recording of my telling her which site to go to are all that saved me from being in deep trouble. If you're working in an industry where you need to keep copious, detailed notes; do so.

The hide you save might be your own.

No comments: