Sunday, August 3, 2008

Bob Brinker Sez More

It's been a while since my last post, and for that I do apologize.  I really haven't had the motivation to journal, although there have been plenty of things I could write about. 

I could start with the snot-nosed punk at a local grocery store who breezed past my father and said "excuse you," I could start with Little Manager Girl who didn't give an overweight rat's rectum, I could start with the surprised look on the little prick's face as I slammed him against the brick wall, I could start with taking his name tag off and snapping it in half, or I could start with the complaint I'm going to file with their home office first thing Monday. 

But they'll probably side with Little Manager Girl ... "he didn't mean to.  I'm sure he didn't do it on purpose."  Really?  So I was hearing things when the prick said "excuse you."  OK.  You'll excuse us as we don't shop there any more.  But I digress.

If little prick had done it to me ... hey; no harm no foul.  I expect snot nosed teens to have no idea about social politeness.  After all, their teachers were too busy teaching them proper sexual techniques and the global warming hysteria.  If he'd done it to me, I wouldn't have said a word.  But my father has enough trouble trying to walk on a level surface.  If little prick had bumped into him, my father would've gone down.  If he'd apologized, nothing that followed would've happened.

But he said "excuse you."  And then there was Little Manager Girl who was probably sucking on her momma's nipple during the first Gulf War.  Remember that one?  I do.

If you can't tell, I really don't expect much from the younger generation.  My problem is that they keep lowering the bar.  Just when I think they can't possibly get worse, something like this happens.  41 years old I may be, but I can still easily hold my own in a fight against two younger opponents.  I've been trained quite well.

But let's switch gears, shall we?

Today, we were listening to Bob Brinker again, since our local professional baseball team wasn't playing.  And believe it or not but they've actually started winning a few games.  But since they weren't playing, Mr. Brinker was on.

I've written about him before, and I'm not going to take him to task about his comments.  Like I wrote before, he's much more versed in financial matters than I am.  But he said a few things that I wanted to comment on.

He said that a Democrat some time ago had said that "GOP" stands for "Gas, Oil, and Plutonium."  The first two I might give you, given Mr. Bush's and Mr. Cheney's ties to oil, but plutonium? 

If that were true, we'd have a great many more nuclear power plants than we already do.  Mr. Brinker, and one of his callers, said that the lack of new nuclear plants was due to the Sierra Club (mentioned by name) and by "...crazies on the far-left."  I'd go further and say by crazies on both sides of the political divide. 

Nuclear plants can be very dangerous if not handled properly.  I won't deny that.  But it can also be handled safely if you treat the technology with respect.  Because just like the deck of a working carrier, there's nothing in that power plant that can't kill you.  John Burns learned that the hard way in 1961 when central control rod #9 shot up and impaled him on the ceiling of the reactor room.  (Source: Dr. Michio Kaku on Coast to Coast AM with Art Bell on 15-DEC-2003.) 

Louis Slotin turned a screwdriver too many times and created a preventable accident.  The article about him can be found here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Slotin and be sure to read about Harry Daghlian, Jr http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_K._Daghlian%2C_Jr. who also died in a preventable accident. 

So while nuclear power can be dangerous, if treated with respect it can be safe.  But some environmentalists, while blocking the building of nuclear plants, don't oppose the building of coal-fired plants.  Although I do understand their reasoning, it seems counter-intuitive. 

Mr. Brinker also said that he would wish President Bush would call the Congress back into emergency session.  You might've read about the 'revolt' by a handfull of Republicans who want to talk about the petrol prices.  The Democrats don't.  There's our two-party system for you.  One side opposes the other while we suffer.  And while I do wish the President would do this ... I'm virtually certain he won't.  As Mr. Brinker said, Mr. Bush already has "...one foot out the door..." with the other to follow in January.  Frankly, I don't expect much from Mr. Bush at this point.  I don't expect anything from any politician. 

And Ms. Pelosi, who had promised to make the last session of Congress the one with the least amount of pork ... well, it increased.  I've already written about that, too.

We've already known that politicians lie.

I just wish they didn't keep proving it to us.  We do get the point, pols.  You don't care about anything except yourselves. 

No comments: