Thursday, August 28, 2008

CELL PHONES and lack of manners.

First, a link:

http://video.aol.com/video/news-anchor-answers-phone-on-air/2209024?icid=200100397x1208104081x1200444495

Yes, a news anchor answered her cell phone on air.

I'll be brutally honest, since that what you've come to expect from me.  Yes, I own a cell phone.  And yes, I've used it before to make and take calls.  I've even, before I nearly lost control of the vehicle I was driving, used to talk on the phone while driving.  Since that time, I've become "anal" about not using the phone while driving.  My now-ex-wife will confirm that.  So will my friends.  Some of them will complain about it, too.

I've seen people on cell phones in supermarkets, in the corner store, driving, walking down the street, standing in line, in a restaurant, even talking on the phone while 'talking' with the cashier at a store.

What is wrong with you people?!?  Except for the driving bit after the near-crash and the talking while in line bit, I've done most of these things.  But to answer the cell phone on air?!?  Do your viewers mean that little to you??

Let me explain.  More than a year ago, while I was still married, my now-ex-wife and I went out to dinner.  There were four young people, all of whom appeared to be teens, on their cell phones.  They were all at the same table, and from the motions their hands were making, I was assuming that they were sending text messages (texting) other people.  It wasn't until I saw a girl snicker and point to a guy across the table and say "I can't believe you said that!" that I realized that they were texting each other.  And they were all at the same table.  True story.  Again, you may ask my now-ex-wife.

Then, a few months ago, I saw a young couple in their twenties having a quiet dinner together.  Whether they were actually 'together' or were simply friends, I have no way of knowing.  But the young man's phone rang, he answered, and then began an animated conversation with whoever was on the other end.  During this time my friends and I were having our quiet conversation, but I kept glancing at that young man and his companion.

It came to the point where I seriously expected that that young man would end up wearing what was on his plate.  I couldn't see his expression due to the angle but I could see hers and she was not happy.  Not a bit.  To be frank, I don't blame her. 

In my opinion, and I could be wrong on this, when you're out with a friend (or friends) and your phone rings and you keep up a conversation, you're telling whoever that you're out with that the person on the other end of the phone means more to you than they (the person(s)) do.  Again, that's my opinion.  It's as if you're saying "This call is really important to me, moreso than you are."

Granted, if it were an emergency call, that is far far different.  It's also different if the person on the other end is ill or really really needs to talk.  But there are far too many people out there that will pick up their cell phones and lay down their manners.  Usually, it seems, in the sewer.

Remember that young man out with the young woman?  From what I could tell of him (laughing and the motions that I was able to see) I would assume that it wasn't an emergency.  Nor, was it somebody in trouble.  He was, again in my opinion, telling the woman he was with that the call meant more to him than she did.  And although I'm not a fan of wasting food, I probably would have applauded her if she'd thrown hers (or his!) at him.  Again, in my opinion, he had it coming.

That one is right up there with talking on your cell phone while 'talking' to a cashier at the store.  You're saying the cashier doesn't matter.  And if you ask me, that's disgusting.

Again, to be honest, my cell has also rung while I was at dinner with friends.  Yes, I did answer it.  "Hi, (Joe) it's good to hear from you.  I'm sorry, but I'm out with friends right now and I don't want to be rude.  If it isn't an emergency, would you mind if I called you back?  Thanks.  Bye."

Now there are those that would say that my telling (Joe) that I was out with friends would be saying to Joe that they meant more to me than he did.  And they do have a point, right?  But I did ask him if it were an emergency and if it would be OK if I called him back (which I did.)  He took no offense.  I dare say he expected me to do what I did.

That also tells my friends that I was out with that they are important to me.  My asking (Joe) if it were an emergency tells them that he too is important to me.  (For the record, (Joe) is not his real name.  But the conversation did happen.

And, to be honest, I have been on the phone while waiting in line.  But when it came my time to pay for my purchases, I either ended the call or asked the person I was talking with if I could put the phone down for a moment.  That's just common courtesy, which doesn't seem all too common these days.

But for an anchor to answer her phone on air?  That's just wrong.  There's no other way to say that.  If you know you're going to be on air (yes, I know, that's one of those 'duh' statements) then you should also know that your phone could ring.  Either set it to vibrate, or put it some place else.  Seriously.

I do sometimes watch MSNBC and I do sometimes watch the show Morning Joe.  And though I do think that they're about to melt down, I haven't yet seen them answer their cell phones on air.  Granted, it could easily have happened when I wasn't watching.  I'm not saying that it hasn't happened, only that it hasn't while I was watching.  But somehow, I don't think it would.  Call me crazy, but it's just a gut feeling.

But this anchor did.  She answered her phone (that was NOT set to vibrate) on the air.  That's like telling your viewers "I know I've thanked you for watching, and I know I've said that you're important to me.  Now watch me as I lie to you and prove how little you really do mean."

My opinion only.  Your mileage may vary.

No comments: