Tuesday, September 30, 2008

"AOL Hometown is Closing its Doors"

But I will give them kudos for one thing - at least they didn't put "...Closing it's Doors."

This was a banner ad as I came online to check my journal and to post other stuff.  But I've been sick since Sunday (vomiting, cold chills, trouble breathing, and frequent diarrhea) so I haven't been online much.  I'm going to need to lay down again after this.

Anyway -

"Dear AOL Hometown User,

     We're sorry to inform you that on Oct. 31, 2008, AOL (registered trademark) Hometown will be shut down permanently.  We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."

My answer:  Bull.  This was a calculated business decision, nothing more and nothing less.  You're looking to cut costs, and when it comes to that people usually cut what isn't used much, or that which costs too much.  IQ of 127, remember?

Either, or both, of those conditions might apply here - the situation really is that simple.  So while you might "regret" shutting AOL Hometown down, I'm not sure that you as a company "...sincerely apologize..." for it.

Remember, I've already dealt with a liar at AOL, my ACI contact who told me that even though I was removed as a Community Leader for daring to speak my mind I could reapply in six months.

I say she lied because 1) once you're removed as a Community Leader, you have little or no chance of becoming one again, and 2) I received an email from a then-current CL who told me that my ACI had sent an email explaining that the CL program was going away.  The point is that my then-ACI almost certainly knew at the time of my removal that the CL program was going away.  The two truths of the situation, however, made no difference to her.

No comments: